Obesity: one of the greatest public health challenges of the 21st century
The prevalence of obesity has tripled in many WHO European Region countries since the 1980s, with numbers rising at an alarming rate, particularly among children. Obesity can cause physical and psychological problems and drastically increases a person’s risk of developing cardiovascular disease, cancer and diabetes. Obesity is already responsible for 2–8% of health costs and 10–13% of deaths in parts of this region.
Body composition analysis takes the numbers one step further.
- Weight and body mass index tables don’t distinguish muscle from fat, so they are not useful in providing a complete picture of metabolic health.
- Body composition analysis provides a highly detailed, carefully measured representation of the body’s condition.
- GE body composition systems distinguish among fat mass, lean mass and bone to give you the in-depth information you need to help make sound therapeutic decisions.
A thorough evaluation reaps patient benefits.
Body composition scans with DXA contribute to a thorough patient evaluation, helping you assess and monitor changes in your patient’s overall health and body condition.
- A comprehensive view of patient health: DXA measures bone mineral content (BMC), bone mineral density (BMD), lean tissue mass, fat tissue mass, % fat and android/gynoid fat ratio with results for both total body and regions (trunk, arms, legs, pelvis).
- Wellness assessment: Empower your patients to enhance their overall health by demonstrating how diet, exercise, meditation and other strategies can affect their condition.
- Weight management: Motivate patients to achieve their goals by showing tangible results – where and how fast they are losing fat – thanks to your recommendations.
- Cardio-metabolic health assessments: Understand the potential health risks of cardio-metabolic diseases, such as obesity and Type 2 diabetes.